Do you desire to start a christian blog but have little or no idea on how to start? Perhaps you consider yourself a tech illiterate and as such you feel unmotivated to go on with been a blessing to your world through blogging? I got you covered in this step by step guide to starting a christian blog for beginners. In this article, I will be showing you how to start a christian blog and how to launch your christian blog the right way. If you intend to make money from your blog aside impacting lives, I will also be showing you how to make money from your christian blog. However, If you don’t want to stress yourself with the technicalities involved in building your own blog, I’m available to help you out for a token. Let’s talk here!
Now, the first question you want to ask yourself is “why?” Why do you want to own a christian blog so badly? To impact lives or to make money from blogging? or both? Actually, making money from what brings you fulfilment is no bad idea but you must make sure that your attention never drifts from making impact as well. This is why you must rely on the Holy Spirit to guide your every move as you start your christian blog. From choosing a name for your blog, to writing edifying contents and connecting with new people on your blog, you need God’s guidance. Blogging as a christian can be quite challenging if you have no spiritual motivation for going into it. Truth be told, its quite difficult to start making money immediately you start a christian blog. But if God keeps you motivated, and you keep been consistent, your christian blog will soon begin to generate huge income. That being said, lets launch into the step by step guide on how to start a christian blog.
How to start a Christian blog?
- Identify the christian topics you are passionate about
- Decide on a blogging platform for your christian blog
- Choose a domain name
- Purchase your domain name and hosting
- Choose a theme for your christian blog
- Download and install essential plugins
- Edit or create your blog pages
- Create and upload your blog’s logo
- Write and publish your first christian blog post
- Promote your christian blog to potential audience
- Get inspiration from other christian blogs with similar niche
- Monetize your christian blog
1. Identify the christian topics you are passionate about. These topics would give you an idea of the niche you should consider for your christian blog. It will also help you to set SMART (specific, measurable, articulate, reliable and time based) goals. For example, if you go through my blog, you’ll probably find more articles on relationships. That’s because I find it easy to talk and write about relationships. You don’t want to own a blog with no contents. That’s why you need to identify the topics that interest you so that it will be easy to keep putting up good godly contents for your readers. Aside that, it will be easy to identify your potential audience and promote your christian blog to them. If you desire to run a general christian blog like mine, where you can talk about everything on the christian faith, its fine! But you’ll need to do more work optimizing your blog for search results in search engines. Not to worry, we’ll discuss that in an upcoming article on how to grow your christian blog.
2. Decide on a blogging platform for your christian blog. A blogging platform owns a software manufactured to get you space on the internet. Just like we have facebook, instagram and twitter as social media platforms for chatting and meeting new people, there are also blogging platforms that offers you blog space to publish your content on the internet. Popular examples of blogging platforms include, WordPress, Wix and BlogSpot among others. These blogging platforms offer free and paid services. The limitation of the free service however is that your blog will have limited features and will not be monetizeable i.e. you won’t be able to make money from your free christian blog. You won’t also be able to restrict the placement of ads on your blog by the blogging platform. So, if you are starting a Christian blog just for the sole purpose of impacting lives, and you won’t be needing too much functionality for your blog, you should consider owning a free christian blog otherwise, go for the paid service, with full functionality and opportunity to make money from your christian blog. Since I run a WordPress blog, for the purpose of this article, I will be illustrating with the WordPress blogging platform.
3. Choose a domain name for your Christian blog. A domain name is the name of your blog. More like your home address on the internet. This is what people are going to type in their browsers to find you on the internet. You should choose a name that relates to the main focus of your blog and its content. If you don’t have a specific niche, you can choose a more general domain name like your name or something like what I have here ‘fruitful touching lives’. Make sure that your domain name is also easy to remember.
4. Purchase your domain name and hosting. Since your domain name is your internet-home address, your hosting is your internet-house. Your hosting is the engine that powers your christian blog. Although you don’t see it, every website and blog on the internet have a hosting that powers it. Not to worry, you can buy your domain and hosting at the same time. For a WordPress blogging platform, there are a number of hosting companies you can choose. However, I recommend Whogohost. Whogohost offers quality and affordable hosting with free domain names and extensions. To buy your domain name and hosting, sign up for WordPress hosting through this link. Carefully follow the instructions. When you are done, whogohost provides you with a dashboard from where you can install wordpress. Follow the instructions and yeah! Your christian blog is live on the internet! If you get stuck in this process, you can contact me to help you out for a token.
5. Choose a theme for your christian blog. A theme is a group of files, which includes the graphics, style sheets, codes, color, font type, font size and many other elements that dictates the overall appearance of your blog to your visitors. You can play around the many free themes provided by wordpress on your dashboard and choose the most appropriate for your christian blog, or you can choose to buy a premium theme with more features directly from your admin dashboard.
6. Download and Install essential plugins. Plugins are bits of software that can be uploaded to extend and expand the functionality of your christian blog. For a start, you may need to install the jetpack plugin – monitor the security and performance of your blog, an anti-spam plugin – to prevent your blog from unnecessary spams and attacks, Yoast SEO – to guide you and help your blog rank in search engines. Some other plugins include plugins to back up your blog, help your blog load faster, integrate payment gateways e.t.c.
8. Create and upload your blog’s logo. For proper branding, create a logo for your christian blog.
10. Promote your christian blog to potential audience. Get your blog in the face of people who may be interested in your content. Share your blog posts on social media handles like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest. You need to have an online presence on this social media platforms to get people to visit your blog.
11. Get inspiration from other christian blogs with similar niche. Develop your blog and give your visitors the best user experience.
12. Monetize your christian blog.
How to Make Money from your Christian Blog?
When it comes to making money from your blog, the list is endless. However, you can consider these popular ways to make money from blogging.
- Sign up on AdNetworks
- Join affiliate marketing
- Sell Ad space on your christian blog
- Sell your own products and services
- Sign Up on AdNetworks. AdNetworks like Google Adsense show their adverts to visitors on your blog and you get paid everytime a visitor clicks on an ad on your blog.
- Join Affiliate Marketing. In Affliate marketing, you earn by promoting third party products and services on your blog. Each time a purchase is made via your affiliate link, you get paid a commission. i.e. you earn from your christian blog by referring customers to specific products, such as books, courses, clothing, etc. There are number of organizations that offer affliate marketing e.g. amazon, clickbank, jumia etc.
- Sell ad space on your blog. As a christian blogger, you can look out for churches, organizations, christian authors, youtubers and entrepreneurs and convince them to advertise on your christian blog for a fee.
- Sell your own product and services. You can come up with information products such as e-books and courses, physical products and services and advertize them on your blog. That way, you will be utilizing your blog traffic to get sales for your own products.